UWMCCFC v WCHS, 30/10/2021


I’ve been told my last match report was too short so I’ve decided to make this one a bit longer. UWMCCFC bounced back to winning ways with a thumping victory over WCHS.

A keen referee saw the boys being rushed to start the game, with half the team turning up and getting straight into position. Unfortunately this meant that our “warm up” (pinging shots at the keeper) would need to be cut short. Luckily, we had some time whilst the opposition set up their flags and got their fan club into position.Right from the first whistle we were on the front foot with two early chances but unfortunately we couldn’t convert. The first of which saw a James Patient header fly over the crossbar. We then won a free kick near the halfway line – Ben Ralli put a lovely ball into the mixer towards Joshua Bennett, who stuck his header wide of post. This would be the first of many, many chances that Josh missed today. After a few foul throws from the opposition, Henry found himself with a little bit of space on the edge of the box and managed to squeeze a shot over the keepers head into the top left hand corner of the WCHS net.

Not long after this, a nice passage of play on the left hand side found Ed Churchill in the oppositions box. He probably had a nosebleed from how high up the pitch he was, but nonetheless he rifled a shot at the oppositions keeper who had no choice but to parry it straight into the path of Henry who had a simple tap in to grab his second of the game. Then came arguably the best chance of the half. Henry Wilson found his way through on goal with no defenders around him. The goalkeeper came rushing out and Henry clearly shit himself, as he sent his chip crashing into the crossbar. He had another chance minutes later, as he went storming past the centre back and was unlucky to see his shot fly across the goal and past the outside of the post. His head was clearly still focused on finding Dan Tennant (lol).2-0 at halftime and the game was in our hands.

After some tactical discussions and a few substitutes we went back out for the second half with two simple plans: 1. Score more goals 2. Keep a clean sheet.

The second half started with some keen pressing from substitute Sam Barlow, but WCHS seemed to come out with a new energy and began to see more of the ball. We still won our midfield battles – and on the odd occasion that we didn’t, the defence was there to clean up. After some boring play with not much happening, the skipper eventually gave in and allowed Josh Bennett to have a run up front. Little did we know this would be a huge mistake. Not long after being up there, Josh found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper but managed to stick his shot straight at the keeper, something he’s all too familiar with (see last weeks match report). Another chance came for Josh, with Ed Churchill whipping in a peach of a free kick from inside our own half onto his head, but Josh couldn’t help but hit the post. I then tried to sub him off, but Josh went full Kepa mode and refused. Admittedly I did bottle it and let him stay on, choosing to sub myself on for someone else instead.Conveniently, while we were sorting this out, there was a big break in play. Ed Churchill had decided to assault one of the opposition players, leading him to have to be subbed off and for medical help to be called.

A lovely roulette from Ben Ralli allowed him to get out of a tight area and play the ball to James Patient, who burst down the middle of the pitch and played the ball out to Tom Dallmeyer. Tom put a cross in that the keeper failed to deal with, instead choosing to put it through his own legs and across the line. Sam Barlow and Josh Bennett both ran in to try and claim it, with Sam getting a touch, however Tom claims that it was over the line anyway. Last week’s referee Joe Mortimer then popped up with a goal of his own. Their goalkeeper failed to clear his lines once again, and we pounced, with Bennett chesting the ball down to Joe, who struck the ball on the half volley straight into the top right hand corner. Josh then finally agreed to be subbed off, and in a tactical masterclass – Sam Hawes came on up front, and managed to do what Josh had been trying to do all game: Score a goal. Sam Barlow chased the ball down to the byline and played a ball across the box into the path of Sam Hawes who had an empty net from 2 yards out. If we’re being real, anyone could have scored it – except Josh. The referee then blew the whistle on what was a fantastic performance from UWMCCFC. Time for a title charge.

“Cooper’s quite strong, Ralli’s elegant” – Ed Churchill

Leave a Reply