Team Sheet; Akash, Will, Marcus, Jonny, Clobber, Lewis, Chase, Bexson, Ferdi, Roche, Rhys

Subs; Tim, Aneesh, Kynaston

After last week’s disappointment, the UWMCCFC returned with renewed hope against a PPE side who lost 4 – 0 to physics last week. Our hope increased even more when before kick off the opposition declared they only had 8 players. This turned out to be a great benefit, for them as they rounded in some of the better Maths & Stats players (who had played just before us). So against a much improved PPE side we began.

The opening exchanges were frantic as both sides showed a willingness to attack. This included some excellent wing play from Bexson (moaning throughout it must be said) and Clobber which nearly led to an early goal. However the first goal was something of a farce. After our keeper Akash was fouled in the box, he played a short pass to Jonny (inside the box). Seeing the opposing striker close him down quickly, Hall stopped the ball and proceeded to pick it up saying it had to leave the box. Ref then proceeds to point to the spot (much to Jonny’s amazement). What follows was a 10 minute argument about whether it was a penalty. This included claims from Jonny of; I’m a better ref, My dad’s a ref so I know more than you, My dad’s a picky **** so I know more than you, etc. It finally ended after much persuasion from both sets of players, with Jon’s final argument being to go visit google. I have and it appears Jon was correct (Quote from the rules “If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team inside its penalty area, the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area the kick is retaken.”) Needless to say the ref was no longer on our side. The resulting penalty was scored with Akash being sent the wrong way. Soon after with our defence still in shock one of the ‘ringers’ scored a decent goal, after a good run and some fancy footwork in the box, he smashed the ball into the bottom corner.

We then had to switch to a more defensive formation to stop the game becoming a joke. This started to limit our attacking play but brought much more solidity to the back. Bexson in particular enjoyed his new role at CAM. The game descended into a frantic midfield battle with both sides having a few chances. UWMCCFC took advantage of the pace of Rhys up front which nearly led to a goal from a quick counter attack only for their keeper to make a good save (especially with all of the onrushing players ready for the rebound). Just after this a long ball was played by the PPE back line and their striker tripped up Hall (REF????) before proceeding unopposed to the goal and slotting the ball into the net. However our response was strong and after some good midfield play, Chase was released down the right and produced one of the finishes of the week. A lovely curled effort into the top corner, that left the keeper stranded and gave UWMCCFC hope. Half time approached and the mood was somewhat down after two very controversial goals.

The second half began better than the first creating a very even contest, with no particular highlights. The only respite was when the ball got stuck in the fence as a stray wire had come loose and got stuck in the ball. The half continued in a frantic but reasonably chanceless manner until the end where chaos ensued. As we tired and then started to push more and more up field, we left gaps at the back which was punished by PPE with a through ball and decent cross both leading to goals (giving them a lead of four goals). With the game already lost we threw caution to the wind and Jonny (trying to redeem himself) went on a mazy run from the back, after some chaos in the box, the ball was eventually turned in by Rhys.

This was definitely a game to forget for UWMCCFC and after losing more games than the whole of last year there are rumours of the manager getting the sack. Hopefully there’s a change of fortune next week against Chem soc.