UWMCCFC v ChemSoc, 20/11/2021


A great day at the office for the boys saw us come away with a thumping victory over ChemSoc, making it 3 wins on the bounce for UWMCCFC.The game started with some positive forward play from us, which saw us win a corner early on. Henry Wilson whipped a lovely ball in and Sam Hawes managed to get on the end of it but unfortunately couldn’t he couldn’t convert. 10 minutes in not much had happened – and I realised that I’m not actually very good at football. I subbed myself off in what turned out to be one of the greatest managerial decisions of all time.

Within minutes of coming on, Sam Barlow proved to be a menace for the oppositions defence, winning headers and chasing every loose ball. A couple minutes later, after some solid defensive work to halt a ChemSoc attack, Angus Forrest played a ball down the right hand side to Sam, who skinned the oppositions left back and struck a shot across the face of the goal into the bottom left hand corner. Not long after this Sam found himself on the left wing, and after some nice work to beat the full back, played a cross into the box straight into the path of Cooper Smith. Cooper took a touch and steadied himself, and with all the time in the world, rifled a shot past the oppositions goalkeeper to double our lead.

This seemed to give ChemSoc a small burst of life, and they started to throw everything they had at us. Luckily our trusty defence did well to deal with it, and Will Tall wasn’t tested too much. We headed into the break 2-0 up – knowing that we had every chance of winning this game by a very comfortable margin. One change was made at halftime, with latecomer Harry Rogers finally turning up to a game and being subbed on in goal.

Harry was tested early on in the second half, with a routine save from a free kick in a dangerous position. A couple minutes later the ChemSoc winger made a darting run down the right hand side and into the box, but an outstanding 1on1 save from Harry and some good work from Ed Churchill to deal with the danger ensured that the score stayed the same.Back down the other end now, and Joe Mortimer found himself on the right wing. After some nice play to beat the full back, he whipped a ball in towards the keeper, who couldn’t hold onto it and some keen pressing play from Sam Barlow saw him steal the ball from the keeper and tap it in the net for his second of the game. ChemSoc hadn’t given up just yet, back down our end they whipped in a corner and the ball was bobbling around begging to be cleared. Harry Rogers decided to take matters into his own hands, and superman punched the ball away, taking out Joe Mortimer and almost taking his head off in the process.

Joshua Bennett then turned into prime Pirlo, and played an inch perfect pass over the top of the defence into the path of Henry Wilson, who dinked it over the keepers head and into the back of the net, continuing his impressive scoring streak. A dangerous looking attack from ChemSoc came to nothing as Josh won the header and cleared the ball, Henry picked the ball up in our half and began to drive forward with it, he then played it into Cooper on the wing who managed to find Sam just inside the box. Sam took a lovely touch to get away from the defender and struck a left footed shot across the face of the goal and into the bottom corner to complete his hattrick, what a player. I then subbed myself back on in the hope of joining in the fun, but the referee blew the whistle two minutes later. I didn’t mind though – a huge win, another clean sheet and an all around great performance from the boys.

Leave a Reply